Are you a fan of fried chicken, but looking for a vegan alternative? Look no further! This vegan fried chicken recipe is sure to satisfy your cravings. Made with oyster mushrooms, this recipe has a similar texture and taste to traditional fried chicken.
- 1 tbsp aquafaba
- 1 tbsp hot sauce
- 500 g oyster mushroom clusters
- 240g / 2 cups All-purpose white flour
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp cajun seasoning
- Oil for frying (vegetable, canola, or peanut)
- In a jug, combine non-dairy milk, lemon juice, and acquafaba. Whisk ingredients together to create buttermilk. Add hot sauce and mix together once more to make a buttermilk marinade.
- In a bowl, add oyster mushrooms, roughly broken apart. You want to leave large clusters together. Pour buttermilk over oyster mushrooms and cover with cling film. Set aside for around 30 minutes.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, sea salt, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, paprika and cajun seasoning.
- Add the oyster mushroom pieces one by one into the flour mix and then back into the buttermilk marinade. Dip once more into the flour mix and set pieces aside on a wire rack, spaced out from one another. Allow to sit to dry for 20 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet or deep fryer to 350°F (175°C).
- Fry the oyster mushrooms in the hot oil until golden brown, about 5 minutes per side.
- Use a slotted spoon or tongs to remove the fried seitan from the oil and place it on a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Serve your vegan fried chicken with your favorite sides, such as mashed potatoes, coleslaw, or corn on the cob.
Tips and Variations
- You can add more or less hot sauce depending on your spice preference.
- If you don't have a deep fryer, you can use a large skillet with about 1 inch of oil.
This vegan fried chicken recipe is sure to become a favorite in your household. Give it a try and let us know what you think in the comments below!